Hiking in Mpumalanga is one of the most exciting things you can do on the weekend or as a mini break away from the city. At Bermanzi, we have made a name for ourselves as the top hiking destination in Mpumalanga. We have three fantastic hiking trails that will take you through some of the most beautiful areas. Mpumalanga is known for its natural beauty and unspoiled wildness.
And you can see what we’re talking about when on one of our exciting trails. But before you head off, these are just some of the things you need to know before you head off.
Health and Safety Tips
- Never stray away from the hiking trail. You don’t know what lies off the path and you could get hurt.
- Try not to hike alone. There is safety in numbers and it is always a good idea to hike with a partner.
- Always have water on you while hiking. This might mean carrying a backup in case you run out.
- Have a look at the predicted weather before you go hiking. This is particularly important during the summer months when storms become a hazardous possibility.
- If you want to bring a dog along, make sure that the hiking trail allows it.
- Don’t take shortcuts. Staying on the trail is the best way to stay safe.
- Know how much you are capable of doing in a day. You might be fit, but hiking trails require a certain amount of endurance. And remember, it’s not a race.
- If you have any medical issues, keep them in mind while hiking. You should also tell someone about your condition before you set off.
- Invest in a pair of hiking poles if your knees aren’t what they used to be. The extra support that these poles provide can alleviate the pressure.
- Should you be taking a backpack along with you, make sure that it is as light as possible. The heaviest thing you should have is a water bottle and a snack. Also be sure that the backpack is suitable for your body type.
- Although you might think that the shoes you wear to the gym are suitable for hiking, nothing beats a pair of good quality hiking boots.
- Pack sunglasses, sunscreen and bug spray. You never know when you need them.